Moving Guidelines

Corporate Relocation


Shipment of your household goods

Determine what items you will want to include in your shipment and contact us for a detailed estimate of the costs associated with an international relocation.

Consider air freight transport of certain essentials that you will need immediately.

Keep in mind that storing some of your household goods while abroad may be a cost effective solution to shipping an entire household.

Valuable items, as well as visas and passports, should be personally carried with you on your trip.

Customs Information

Your move coordinator can discuss the restrictions on what you can and cannot take across the host country's borders. He or she can also address any normal customs clearance fees or port fees at the destination entrance port that may not be included and for which you may be responsible.

The U.S. embassy of your new country can provide a list of schools that follow the traditional U.S. curriculum and provide instruction in English. These schools are referred to as American schools.

Check in with the U.S. Embassy as soon as possible after your arrival. They can answer questions and assist you in local registration and any other official procedures.


It's a good idea to study the etiquette and customs of your destination country beforehand. The country's consulate is an excellent source of this information.

Some of your appliances and other electrical items may not work in your new home, or may need special adapters.

Required Documents

Keep in touch with the consulate of the country to which you're moving to obtain the documents and permits that allow your immigration to the new country. You can obtain a passport application from your local post office. If work permits are required they must be obtained before leaving the country, your move coordinator will assist you.

As an American citizen living overseas, you'll have to deal with U.S. and foreign tax obligations. Most large international accounting and consulting firms have departments that specialize in overseas planning for all your financial and tax needs.

Things to do

Close charge accounts that you won't use overseas, as well as savings and checking accounts.

Consult the overseas representative at your local bank about currency exchange rates, letters of credit, transfer of funds, etc.

Make all travel arrangements and obtain your tickets well in advance.

Send change-of-address cards to the post office, social security office, insurance companies, relatives, friends, etc.

Obtain all personal records (i.e., prescriptions and medical records, school transcripts, marriage and birth certificates, vehicle registrations, etc.) and carry them personally.

See our International Moving Checklist for more detailed information.

Extended Protection Program

Calculate the replacement cost of your goods overseas to establish the terms of transit protection. Our valued inventory form will help determine the appropriate level of extended protection.

In the unlikely event that a claim should arise on your move with National Van Lines International, we will arrange for repairs or replacement as soon as possible.


The consulate or U.S. State Department can advise you regarding the health care available to expatriates at your destination.

Prior to moving overseas, you may need certain immunizations and your children may need them before enrolling in school.

Required inoculations can be determined by calling the consular representative of your destination country or the U.S. Public Health Service Quarantine Division at (404) 639-2572.

When questions arise, your National Van Lines move coordinator should be the first person you ask. They're your single source for everything, from start to finish.